Menstrual disorders are very common and can be the cause of a significant amount of physical or emotional problem that interferes with the normal menstrual cycle, causing pain, unusually heavy or light bleeding.
Cramping sensation in the lower abdomen that periodically appears with menstruation is one of the most common gynecologic problems of young women.
Pain in the lower abdomen can be accompanied by headache, dizziness, diarrhea, swollen feeling, nausea, vomiting, back pain, and leg pain.
Yoga reduces the menstrual distress and menstrual pain intensity of women with primary dysmenorrhea. The practice of yoga improves blood circulation and improves the functioning of the endocrine glands, which regulates menstruation.
Benefits of yoga during menstruation–
- Yoga improves the functioning of the endocrine glands, promotes flexibility in the body so that the muscles become supple and do not cramp or get injured. Regular practice of asana will lead to stretching of the pelvic muscles, one will feel less pain as well.
- A large part of yoga is about breathing techniques. When performing asana or poses, the transition from one pose into another is easier with help of various breathing techniques.
- Yogic practices can improve overall wellbeing; meditation can help relieve stress both physical and mental, and thus infusing with peace and taking the mind off all the menstrual problems.
- Regular practice of yoga also improvises blood circulation, minimizing pain and discomfort resulting from painful cramps and menstrual flow.
Here are four yoga poses that can help you reduce the pain you experience due to menstrual cramps-
1. Child’s pose– Child’s pose does this by flexing your reproductive organs, this pose helps relieve strain on the thighs, back, shoulder, neck, and hip and helps to relax the body.
2. Reclining Twist- If you’re dealing with aches and pains from your period, it feels good and has massive health benefits. This pose relaxes the abdominal organs, which may relieve muscle cramps. The hip muscles and back muscles are stretched while doing so, relieving tension in the body.
3. Crocodile Pose (Makarasana)- Makarasana improves circulation and digestion lowers blood pressure, boosts energy levels, and soothes the nervous system.
4.Cobra Pose- Cobra Pose strengthens your back, hips, and digestive system, relieves anxiety, fatigue, headaches, menstrual cramps, and can even help soothe mild depression.
Dr. Archana Dhawan Bajaj, Gynecologist & Obstetrician, Nurture IVF Centre, said, “Yoga can help in healing the menstrual pain and keeping you away from the emotional and physical stress. Once the period starts, regular yoga practice, meditation, and try simple yoga poses.”
If you feel achy in the muscles and joints during menstruation, you’ll love these simple yoga poses. Yoga has calming effects on your mind and is beneficial for the relaxation your body will feel.