Dr. Meenakshi Ahuja is working as a Director – Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Fortis La Femme GK Part 2
The theme of womens day 2022 is to work towards a gender equal world. A world free of bias, stereotypes and discrimination. A world that’s diverse, equitable, and inclusive. A world where difference is valued and celebrated. Together we can forge women’s equality. Collectively we can all #BreakTheBias.
Focusing on womens health seems to be a priority in helping women seek equal opportunities and hence they need to focus on not only treatment but disease prevention
So when should women see a gynaecologist
1. Start early . When a young girl starts her periods, mothers may not be able to provide all the information , nor may young girls feel comfortable discussing menstrual hygiene & sexuality with their moms. See a gynaecologist and also complete her HPV vaccination against cervical cancer if not done till now.
2. See a gynaecologist when you decide to be sexually active. It is imperative to understand the various contraceptive measures available so that you make an informed choice. Also to be aware of the risk and consequences of STIs and unwanted pregnancy .when you are at it, learn how to do a breast self examination.
3. Girls also seek gynaecologist counsel as part of a premarital counselling with their partners , to get the correct answers to their questions on sex fertility and family planning
4. Preconception counselling – this is extremely important so that you are at your fittest when you plan a pregnancy. Your personal history, habits, family history , pertinent investigations for both partners will be taken into consideration to ensure you have a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery
5. Pregnancy – your gynaecologist is your sheet anchor in these crucial months, she will address your concerns, ensure you are not having any avoidable complications , treat any problems which are inevitable, and support you during birthing
6. After 30, you may need regular check up , breast examinations and a regular cancer screening . Schedule an annual visit with your gynaecologist
7. After 40, regular investigations like mammogram, ultrasound, blood work will be mandated and supplements given to take care of any pre and peri menopausal issues and ensure a healthy menopause
8. Any any case of abnormal or irregular bleeding , and discharge which may be foul smelling , irritating or bloodstained, hormonal issues like acne, facial hair, hair fall , weight gain or sudden weight loss, missed or painful periods, lumps in the breast, post menopausal bleeding or any gynaecological issue, do see your gynaecologist immediately
Your gynaecologist should be your confidante and support system , so seek well and invest in your mental and physical health so that you can #breakthebias