Obesity cases are increasing in the country at an alarming rate. It is a complex disorder that involves an excessive amount of body fat. Obesity is a medical problem that is associated with multiple other health issues like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, obstructive sleep apnea, joint pains, PCOD, liver, kidney disease, and many types of cancers.
Obesity is usually caused by eating too much and due to physical inactivity, although factors like genes and other certain health conditions can also cause weight gain. However, fortunately, even a modest weight loss can be beneficial in such a case.
For making lifestyle healthier certain changes needs to be included like a proper healthy diet plan and regular exercise. They can help you lose weight, reduce belly fat, and prevent obesity-related problems.
Dr. Sukeshini Ramteke, Diet Consultant, Sports Physiotherapist & Fitness Influencer at AXIS Hospital shared her insights on this topic with Healthwire Media and said, “Obesity is simply having unhealthy and more amount of fat deposition in the body. Obesity can be measured by BMI i.e. Body Mass Index having a normal range of 18.5 to 24.9. BMI above 30 indicates obesity.”
Because of obesity, the level of insulin and insulin growth factor-1 increases which could be the reason to develop some cancerous cells, she added.
Fat tissue produces a high amount of estrogen hormone which can be linked with increased risk of breast cancer or endometrial cancer or ovarian cancer.
5 tips for weight loss:
Here are the five tips for weight loss provided by Dr. Sukeshini Ramteke:
1) Have a good amount of water – You should keep yourself hydrated throughout the day. It removes problems related to indigestion.
2) Eat a healthy diet – Your diet should include no-starchy vegetables, fruits, legumes. Make sure that you diet has enough protein. Grains, sprouts, fiber are the good sources of protein.
3) Stay active – 45 min to one hour of brisk walking with moderate to high speed is recommended every day.
4) Quit smoking and alocohol – It is very much important to reduce the risk factor or control obesity. If you are addicted to alcohol or smoking you have to reduce the dose and frequency gradually.
5) Rest – It is very important to release stress, as it is one of the reasons people tend to overeat. Fatigue can also make you eat more and eat unhealthy items.
“If your BMI is more than 27, and if you also have any medical complications like hypertension, diabetes, or sleep apnea, then you must visit a doctor. In such cases you have to get treated with your medical complications. You need a proper diet chart to follow,” said Dr. Sukeshini.