The Covid-19 pandemic is changing the way we access health care. Dentists are also changing the way they conduct dental care as this leaves you and your dentist more vulnerable to Covid-19.
Visiting a dentist has always been a tensed experience for many people, but going to the dentist during Covid-19 generates a new kind of fear and stress.
The main reason for this is the nature in which this novel coronavirus spreads, that is, mainly via respiratory droplets. Today a patient looks at the dentist and his clinic with great suspicion fearing that he may contract the disease and there is a lack of trust in people before they think of visiting the dentist.
As wearing a mask and adhering to social distancing are the most important things one can do to prevent the spread of Covid-19 but it is not possible to follow when you’re at the dental clinic
The dental community is continuing to adjust to the rapidly changing situation with Covid-19. For your safety and the safety of health care providers.The dentist, outfitted with all necessary personal protective equipment including an N-95 mask, will perform the procedure with all safety guidelines-
- Screening patients before each appointment, and when they arrive, for symptoms of Covid-19 — such as cough and fever — and postpone if they have symptoms that could indicate they have the virus.
- Telephonic screening of all patients is done prior to giving them an appointment. Appointments are staggered with more time allotted for each patient to reduce the number of people in the clinic at any given time to ensure social distancing among patients.
- Adhere to the appointment time and avoid getting an attendant, with an exception of dependents and children.
- Avoid wearing a wristwatch, jewellery, and any other additional accessories or bags.
- Dentists today are utilizing technology and are giving online consultation during this pandemic. Through video call, you can consult your dentist to provide certain emergency care over the telephone.
Maintain a healthy diet and oral hygiene routine-
- However, tired or lazy, you feel, make sure you brush your teeth twice a day to ensure proper oral health.
- When selecting the toothpaste to use, go for a toothpaste that contains fluoride in it. This is because fluoride is ideal for tooth decay defence. It protects your teeth by forming a protective barrier as well as fighting harmful pathogens.
- Chocolates, junk food are those that provide long-lasting sources of sugar. These are also linked to tooth decay and should be avoided.
- Water helps in keeping your mouth clean and fighting dry mouth. It washes away leftover food and residue that cavity-causing bacteria are looking for. Moreover, it also dilutes the acids produced by such bacteria.