Dr. Ankit Singhal, Pulmonologist, Sri Balaji Action Medical institute, New Delhi
The higher the AQI value, the greater the level of air pollution and the greater the health concern. For example, an AQI value of 50 or below represents good air quality, while an AQI value over 300 represents hazardous air quality. This creates a lot of health care issues, and have a different impact on different people like for senior citizens it can cause itchy eyes, sore throat and skin rashes. The problem aggravates when the pollution levels are on the higher side where as in case of children it impacts neurodevelopment and cognitive ability and can trigger asthma, and several other diseases. Children who have been exposed to high levels of air pollution may be at greater risk for respiratory diseases and cardiovascular diseases later in life.
The air quality in the city will most likely go from ‘very poor’ to ‘poor’ from this coming week, providing breathable air to citizens. As we all struggle to breathe in such situation there are few Do’s & Don’t for Increasing AQI Level
1) Stop all outdoor exercises especially Morning Walks. Indoor workouts may be continued.
2) It’s better to walk, cycle or car pool instead of using one vehicle per person for travelling
3) Don’t burn wood or trash
4) Diet needs to be rich in nutrients & food items that help detoxify, are anti-inflammatory & improve immunity like Amla, Guava, Almonds, Walnuts, green leafy vegetables & fatty fish.
5) Keep your body hydrated by drinking enough water preferably 3-4 liters a day
6) Wearing of masks when you go outside
7) Keep indoor Plants which help in minimizing the air pollution such as Aloe Vera , Tulsi etc.
8) Avoid using air freshener & burning candles
9) Avoid areas with lot of dust, smoke & higher AQI
10) Use Air purifiers in the home & offices.
11) Regular intake of medicines for elderly or those who are having respiratory problems / diseases.
12) Regular doctor consultation if any respiratory / cardiac / any other illness
13) Avoid smoking & related tobacco products
14) Keep proper check on pollution of vehicles.