If you are among the ones who have decided to quit smoking then you have won half of the battle already. Smoking cigarettes is one of the most common addictions across the world, and to get over this is difficult.
Below are a few tips that will help you get out of this addiction easily. You need to just START with it. National No Smoking Day was observed on the 10th of March this year, but it is never the right time to quit – any time you decide to quit is the right time.
Here is the START approach recommended by Dr. Vikas Maurya, Director, and Head of Department, Pulmonology, Fortis Hospital Shalimar Bagh.
5 tips for millennials to stop smoking effectively
- First, decide on a date when you want to give up smoking, so you have time to prepare yourself.
- Make a list of the bad effects of smoking and paste it somewhere just in front of your eyes, so that every morning immediately after waking up, you can see the list.
- After your quit date is decided, then make sure you remove cigarettes, matchboxes, lighters, and ashtrays from all the places around you. It will help you to control the urge of smoking easily. Additionally, do freshen up all the areas and the clothes which smell of cigarettes.
- Create a list of activities you can quickly use to forget your urge to smoke; e.g; go for a walk, drink a glass of water, solve a crossword puzzle, talk to your friends and family, read a book, eat fruits.
- Exercise is beneficial for both physical and mental health, and it’s another good way to manage cravings to smoke. Try and ignore negative thoughts. Talk to your doctor if you need any support.