The immune system is responsible to build the best defense against foreign invaders in the body. There are certain foods that contain essential nutrients and minerals which ensure the optimal immune function of the body to keep viral/ other infections at bay.
Healthy eating and lifestyle practices can lower the risk of disease. A person with impaired immunity is more susceptible to Covid-19, and thus immunity is an important preventing factor.
Vitamins A, E, and D – the three fat-soluble vitamins; C & B vitamins and minerals such as zinc, selenium, iron, copper, etc. and phytonutrients, amino acids, fatty acids are necessary for optimal immune function.
The following are the best foods to consider for immunity boosting:
- Spinach– Spinach is packed with nutrients like iron and vitamin C. They are essential for fresh blood production and keeping blood impurities at bay. It regulates immune function, keeps inflammation under control, and prevent tissue damage. Spinach plays a crucial role in several metabolic pathways that aid in optimal immune function.
- Ginger– Ginger is a great food that has antiviral properties which can also improve digestion. Anti-inflammatory aid immune memory formation that helps prevents reinfection with the same pathogen. It helps clear/scavenge oxidant species (toxins) that are produced in large quantities in the body during infection and immune response.
- Kiwi fruit– Kiwi fruit helps in boosting the production of white blood cells that fight infections and also supports a healthy blood-clotting ability in your body, and this is necessary for the seclusion of areas of infections and injury in the healing process.
- Turmeric– Turmeric is known for its anti-inflammatory which stimulates the production of digestive enzymes. It reduces pain and promotes the heart and is a great modulator of the immune system.
- Yoghurt– Yoghurt is a good source of many nutrients, improves gut health by regulating gut bacteria; aids immune function, and reduces inflammation.
- Almonds– Almonds and nuts contain healthy fats that ease down the process of absorption. It is an important antioxidant and supports a healthy inflammatory response. An important component of all cell membranes and promotes healthy cellular functioning overall.
These healthy ways help in maintaining the strength of the body (immunity) which in turn helps in combating pandemic conditions such as Covid-19.
“Poor metabolic health equals poor immune health. The good news is that within weeks of making simple changes to what we eat, how we move and reducing stress through meditation, we can rapidly improve – both making us healthier and more resilient to infection,” said Dr. Aseem Malhotra, a National Health Service (NHS) trained cardiologist and author The 21-Day Immunity Plan.
Maintaining your immune system strength with particular food ingredients can go a long way. Consuming healthy foods on a daily basis will not only keep your body healthy but also help you achieve a stronger immune system.