‘Rizwan Was Unable To Breathe; I’d To Take Permission From ICC For ‘Prohibited’ Medicine’: Says PCB Doctor

Rizwan ended as the third-highest run-scorer of the T20 showpiece event with 281 runs in six games.

Mohammed Rizwan the Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter was in the ICU for two days before the T20 World Cup semi-final year but still went on to amass a crucial 67 against Australia. For his hard work and determination, the star player earned plaudits for his determination after his picture from his hospital bed went viral on social media.

Rizwan developed a sever chest infection after which he was admitted to the hospital. Rizwan ended as the third-highest run-scorer of the T20 showpiece event with 281 runs in six games.

Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) doctor Najeebullah Soomro reminded the ‘ordeal’ Rizwan went through and said he got permission from the International Cricket Council (ICC) before vaccinating the player with the ‘prohibited’ substance.

Dr Soomro was quoted as saying during an interview with Rizwan said, “You were unable to breathe and I have to get permission from the ICC to inject that medicine to help you recover. Usually, it is prohibited for the athletes but since there was no other option available, we have to take permission from the ICC to inject that medicine.”

Before being admitted to the hospital, Rizwan had been suffering from intermittent fever, a persistent cough, and chest tightness for 3-5 days. The results of the tests confirmed that Rizwan had a severe laryngeal infection, which caused an oesophageal spasm and bronchospasm.

Rizwan is currently a member of the English county Sussex. He made headlines after sharing a century with Cheteshwar Pujara in the English red-ball County Championship’s Second Division. Rizwan scored 79 on his home debut for the south coast club, and then 31 against Middlesex.

Earlier, the wicketkeeper-batter revealed the extent of his injury, saying he wasn’t breathing when he arrived at the hospital.

“When I reached the hospital, I wasn’t breathing. And the nurses told me that my windpipes were choked. They were not telling me anything. I was told that I would get better by morning and discharged. During the afternoon, I was told that I will be discharged in the evening.

Facebook Comments