Amidst the pandemic, ‘pregnancy’ and ‘parenting’ rank high among the topics that are most researched and talked about. At this time, when everyone wants to avoid doctors and hospitals, being pregnant is challenging.
Pregnant women have to navigate appointments, hormones, sonograms, sickness and cravings. They also have to organise medication in these times, testing their patience.
The biggest emotional challenge for expecting and new parents is anxiety. Do some of the following steps to take care of nerves and stress during pregnancy and post-delivery:
- Meditate: For pregnant women, you must remain stress-free. Hence, meditation will help you soothe your nerves. Take deep and calm breaths. The merits of elevated levels of oxygen in the lungs, brain and body for immunity and hormonal balance are many.
- Careful stretching: With covid-19, there is a restriction in movement. To develop muscle strength, do some stretching exercises. Your pelvic floor will strengthen and the release of endorphins, as a result, is immense.
- Think Positive Thoughts: Go on a ‘thought silences’ to arrest negative emotions. Why think about something which you can’t control. You should focus on the present and arrest any negative feelings. Don’t dwell on what-if’s scenarios. Reign those thoughts that can help you relax and stay functional. This may surely take patience and practice, but it is definitely worth it.
- Go on a break from News: It’s better if you take a break from the news or rather cut your viewing time. It’s better that you don’t know how many people are infected with covid-19 and how much casualties have occurred. Delays in vaccine formulation, conspiracy theories and other grim stuff may bring negative thoughts. So, watch some comic movies, enjoy beautiful songs instead of going through every other latest research on pregnant women.
- Read or follow a relaxing hobby: Hobbies help us relax and bring happiness. When we enjoy something we do, we have a happy baby in our arms. Release your endorphins by relaxing and being happy. Hobby also helps you to be productive and also make your brain stay active.
- Talk to friends and family for conversation: If your anxiety levels are at an all-time high, reach out to someone who can soothe your nerves. It’s better to talk with someone whom you depend on talking about your issues. Discuss what your mind is meddling with and try to change those thoughts.
- Make a contingency plan with your doctor: You may feel relaxed if you had a Plan B even if Plan A didn’t work out. Have a tentative plan in place for any unforeseen situations to relieve some stress. This will ensure that you get confidence to cross the bridge when you get to it.
As the world is struggling, some of the responses that have emerged are-breakdowns, transformation and strengthening of attitude, repairing any healing relationships, some are responding positively or negatively to therapy, and some cases have made very little progress.
Welcoming a baby into this world is a joyful thing, but it comes with its rollercoaster ride, with or without a lurking virus. Make the most of your pregnancy, by having a robust and meaningful purpose and being healthy and safe.