If you are pregnant, you need to know this. It is one of the biggest concerns for experts that could the COVID19 affect that pregnant woman and can it infect the unborn child?
“Presently, there is no evidence of the virus being transmitted in the womb. However, there is a huge risk immediately after baby being born. Pregnant women are more susceptible to flu viruses in general as their immunity is low; they need more oxygen as their lungs are compressed. However this is not the case with COVID19, more men have been affected than women till now”, says Dr. Archana Dhawan Bajaj, Gynecologists and Obstetrician and IVF Expert, Nurture IVF Centre.
However, it is important for Pregnant women to protect themselves and others by taking simple steps. She suggests these simple steps for all pregnant women:
- Be at home and avoid people who are sick
- Wash hands with soap often and keep them sanitized
- Avoid large social meetings / gatherings, even home function
- Do not travel overseas
- Immediately contact physician if you observe any kind of flu symptoms
Breastfeeding is very effective against infectious diseases as it transmits antibodies and offers important immunity to the newly born, hence at the time of birth, if the mother is too ill, then she should be assisted with breast milk extraction, added Dr Bajaj.
For the women who have COVID19, WHO recommends:
- They should wash their hands before and after contact with the baby
- Use a medical mask when near the baby if you have symptoms of coughing
- Regularly clean and disinfect surfaces they may have touched
It is advised to get Flu vaccination. It will not protect you from COVID19 but you can be protected from flu, which can be very difficult for pregnant women.