Dr Viral Desai, Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon
Getting your hair coloured at the salon is a transformative makeover process, giving you a new look. So go ahead and colour your tresses without any stress.
Before colouring your hair:
1. Choosing the right colour
• It is important to stay within two or three tones of your natural hair colour.
• Lighter colours will require you to bleach your hair, which can be damaging to the hair
• Darker shades suit the Indian skin and hair tones better.
• Colour can also be temporary, semi-permanent or permanent.
2. Hair care before colouring
• Avoid shampooing, as this can strip off your natural oils
• Apply a deep conditioning hair mask a day or two prior to the colouring
3. Get a patch test done
• Do a patch test on a small area to check if you are sensitive or allergic to the colour.
4. Opt for ammonia free hair colour
• Hair colouring is a chemical reaction in which one or more chemicals such as ammonia in the hair colour act as a swelling agent for the hair cuticle.
• Ammonia disturbs the pH balance of the hair and also causes moisture and protein loss from the hair.
• Ammonia, an alkaline chemical, raises the pH level of the hair during the colouring process.
• This lifts the cuticles of the hair fibre and deposits the colour into the cortex which is the inner part of the hair protected by the cuticles.
• Ammonia also lightens the hair’s natural pigment so it can be re-coloured.
• Nowadays ammonia free formulation are available which are gentler on the hair.
After colouring your hair:
1. Immediately after colouring
• Wait for atleast 48 hours before you wash your hair, to help the colour lock in
• This hair wash is essential to remove buildup of excess product.
2. Hair care regime
• After colouring your hair, it is best to use shampoos, conditioners and other hair care products that would help lock the colour in and keep it intact.
• A weekly hair mask and hair pack is vital
• For vibrant colours like red or burgundy, which bleed faster, opt for a shampoo and conditioner with special pigments that help retain the vibrancy of the colours.
• After bleaching of hair, use good quality anti frizz shampoos to prevent dryness of hair.
3. For gloss and shine
• Use shine enhancing hair styling products such as smoothing shine
• Use good quality colour gloss serums or get a glossing treatment done at the salon.
4. Stay committed to colouring
• As your hair colour fades, repeat the process.
• Opt for low maintenance hair colour at home, if frequent trips to the salon are not possible for you.