There is insufficient evidence to determine that Covid-19 was being spread in China’s central Wuhan before December 2019, a joint WHO and Chinese expert mission into the origins of the pandemic in Wuhan said Tuesday.
“There is no indication of the transmission of the Sars-Cov-2 in the population of the period before Dec 2019,” said Liang Wannian, head of the China team, at a press conference, adding that there was “not enough evidence” to determine if the virus had spread in the city prior to that.
The Chinese Health Commission expert has said that the virus that causes Covid-19 could have been circulating in other regions before it was identified in the central Chinese city of Wuhan at the end of 2019.
— World Health Organization (WHO) (@WHO) February 9, 2021
However, the coronavirus cases has rose unabated across the globe, with nearly 107 million infected by the deadly contagion. While 78,972,963 have recovered, 2,335,361 have died so far.
The US remains the worst-hit country with 27,698,569, followed by India, Brazil, Russia and the United Kingdom.
However, it terms of the total number of active cases, US tops the charts, followed by France, UK, Brazil and Belgium.