On Friday, the Centre told the Supreme Court that no additional opportunity would be granted to civil service aspirants impacted by COVID-19.
Additional Solicitor General SV Raju has told a bench headed by Justice AM Khanwilkar that no additional attempt will be made by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for students who had their last attempt in October and for those who were unable to appear due to COVID-19.
“Yesterday night, I received information from the government that it is not agreeable. I would want to put this on affidavit.”
The Bench asked the Centre to file an affidavit on the stance taken by it and posted the matter on Monday for a hearing.
The Court was previously told that the plan to make additional improvements to civil service applicants affected by COVID-19 is being actively discussed by the government and UPSC.
For those candidates who had their last attempt at the preliminary examination conducted in October 2020, the Bench heard a petition requesting an additional attempt at the UPSC exams. It also sought an alternative incentive for students who, because of COVID-19, did not appear for civil service examinations.
Appearing for the petitioners, Senior Advocate Mukul Rohatgi had previously argued that the Court had ordered the Centre to consider granting an additional opportunity in the light of the difficulties of COVID-19.
The Supreme Court asked the Central Government and the UPSC on 30 September to consider providing an additional opportunity to candidates who would otherwise make their last attempt in 2020, with the subsequent extension of the upper age limit.
On 26 October, the Department of Personnel and Training told the Supreme Court that the issue of providing an extra attempt to last chance applicants were under the authority’s consideration.