Vaccination of kids in the age group of 15 to 18 years is underway in India. Lakhs of children have already got inoculated with the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. The vaccination drive started on January 3 amid the rising cases of coronavirus led by the Omicron – which has been declared as a ‘variant of concern’ by the World Health Organization. But there are some experts who believe that there is no need for children to get vaccinated for now. They argue that there is not a single death among children up to the age of 12 years due to coronavirus.
They also claim that the immune system of kids is strong enough to fight against novel coronavirus. So far, there are no conclusive reports on whether kids should get vaccinated against COVID-19 or not. But as vaccination drive for children is underway, parents need to keep certain things in mind.
According to Dr P Ravi Kumar – Senior Consultant Pediatrics, Neonatology, Manipal Hospitals, Vijayawada – children in the age group of 15 to 18 years only are eligible for vaccination drive and people must take this seriously.
Dr Kumar also said that the following precautions should be taken after vaccination of kids:
- After vaccination, take the medicine prescribed by the doctor to avoid the symptoms of mild cold or fever
- If there is any family history of allergy, make sure to take precautions before getting a vaccination, or else it may lead to a ripple effect
- Most of the children will be experiencing Upper Respiratory infection (URI) such as difficulties in breathing, rapid heartbeat, swelling face or throat pain
- After 48 hours of vaccination if there is any illness, immediately visit a pediatrician to be monitored
- Do not do strenuous activities within the first 24 hours. Most children tend to involve in physical activities, but make sure that they get proper rest
- Even after getting the vaccination, children must avoid crowded places and maintain 6 feet of social distance
- Also, maintain proper hygiene, wash your hands from time to time
- Drink plenty of fluids to stay hydrated