– Vikas Gupta, Co-Founder and Chief Product Officer, MyDiagnostics
As we age, we experience a slow-down in vitality, sex drive, energy levels, and face age-related issues such as fatigue, joint pain, wrinkles, hair loss, reduced mental and cognitive function, etc. Here are some of the science-backed pathways that will help us turn the clock backward, look, feel and perform better.
1) Optimise Nutrients Level: Micronutrients such as Vitamin D, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, and Iron level are very important nutrients that you should take insufficient amount for the proper functioning of your body. The normal level of vitamin B12 in your bloodstream lies between 190 and 950 (pg/mL). However, for having an ideal vitality and performance level, the vitamin b12 range should be above 700 (pg/mL).
2) Maintain Hormone Balance: The balance of key hormones such as Testosterone, Cortisol, DHEA is important to improve your vitality. Our body drops 1-3% of hormones every year after the age of 30 and it accelerates due to unmanageable stress. Testosterone is responsible for the sex drive, and muscle gain which further improves through strength training. Recovery through deep sleep promotes serotonin hormone that helps with mood regulation and feeling of well-being.
3) Shift to an Active Lifestyle: Having a healthy and active lifestyle can boost up your vitality and energy level to the next level. Make sure that you take a protein-first diet, develop a strength training routine, and improve core-strength or posture through Yoga to reduce the chances of sexual dysfunction. Moreover, smoking, excessive consumption of alcohol, obesity, and diabetes can also reduce your vitality.
4) Develop a Positive Mindset: Stress is inevitable and sometimes moderate stress is good and keeps us motivated. A better mindset and good self-esteem promote a feeling of confidence & vitality. Surrounding yourself around positive people, and meditating for at least half an hour can help you enhance and increase your vitality.
5) Improve Circulation & reduce Inflammation: The antioxidants such as vitamin A, E, and omega 3 fatty acids can boost circulation and reduce inflammation and promote cell repair. Poor circulation can lead to cardiac conditions and also erectile dysfunction where the blood flow is impaired. Exercise is an excellent way to increase your overall circulation through increased blood flow.