By Dr. Aruna Kalra – Senior Gynaecologist and Obstetrician at CK Birla Hospital, Gurugram
Getting pregnant is like a blessing for every woman. Each of them goes into motherhood at different phases in their lives. It is suggested to women to get pregnant before 35, but more and more of them are now opting for a late pregnancy due to their careers, or because they are simply not ready.
If you are looking to get pregnant in your late 30s, there are certainly some challenges that you may have to face. Here are some pros and cons of embracing motherhood in late 30s.
Embracing Motherhood In Late 30s: Let’s Talk about good things first
- Older mothers bring abundant benefits: Women in their late 30s are way more mature and prepared than those in their 20s. Having their careers set, they are financially secure and are able to provide well for their babies. The ones who faced challenges like infertility and struggled to become mother, tend to be more careful and happier during their pregnancy period.
- Reduced risk of Breast Cancer: Studies have shown that women who delay their pregnancy may reduce their risks of having breast cancer by breastfeeding their babies.
- Reduced stress: Women who conceive later in life experience less parenting stress than the women who become mothers in their 20s. Older mothers do not have reduced parenting capacity due to physical or mental ability. They are as effective as young moms.
- Embryo or egg freezing: If a woman is looking to postpone her pregnancy, she can opt for freezing her embryo or eggs as autoimmunity can affect the ovarian reserve. In some cases, the woman may also suffer from disease like hyperthyroidism or cancer, so in that case also, embryo or egg freezing is a great option.
The Cons –
- Declined fertility: Fertility in women above 35 years of age begins to drop due to hormonal fluctuation related to age. Some women also experience premature menopause due to which their plans of getting pregnant are shattered, leaving them more stressed.
- Increased risk: Women who choose to conceive later in life have an increased risk of miscarriage. Also, risks related to the down syndrome are also there.
YOU MAY LIKE TO READ: Can Down Syndrome Be Cured During Pregnancy?
- The Myth of IVF Miracle: IVF is not very much effective in older women. It does not significantly increase fertility in women above 35 years of age. The success rates in older women are quite less as compared to younger women.
- Less support: Women who herself chooses to conceive in late 30s may have to experience less support during her pregnancy and motherhood phase. They may have to take care of elderly parents as well as their children.
Tips to follow before planning a baby in late 30s
If a woman is planning to get pregnant in late 30s, here are some tips that she must follow-
- She should undergo some health check-ups for
- The previous history of any surgery or disease which can affect her present health should be discussed with the gynaecologist.
- Exercise routine – She should maintain a routine for exercises. This will help her to stay fit and active.
- Healthy diet – She should immediately switch to a healthy diet containing all necessary nutrients.
- Counselling regarding age associated risk of chromosomal abnormalities and the knowledge of tests in each trimester to rule out these genetic diseases in developing foetus is recommended.
- Breast examination has to be done in order to rule out any lump or abnormality.
- It is better to have a genetic counselling session for you and your husband.