Our body naturally has some amount of sugar in the blood. But when the sugar levels exceed a certain amount of sugar in the blood causes hyperglycemia.
Several health problems are caused due to high blood sugar and can also directly affect the kidney, liver, brain and other important body organs.
Although, the main reason behind diabetes is unknown to us, but if you have high blood sugar you should always consult your doctor and take the necessary steps regarding it. This includes improving your lifestyle and eating a healthy diet can treat diabetes to a great extent.
You should make sure that you visit your doctor regularly and take the prescribed medicines on time.
Along with that physical activities are equally important if you want to get rid of your diabetes. If high blood sugar levels go untreated for too long it can pose a serious threat to your life.
There are several symptoms that can occur early on diabetes so you need to pay attention to these signs and symptoms before it’s too late:
What is Blood sugar?
Dr. Suranjit Chatterjee, MD, Senior Consultant Internal Medicine at Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals New Delhi said, “Blood sugar or glucose is the main sugar found in the blood. It comes from the food we eat and is the main source of energy for our body.”
What is the range of blood sugar?
Normal fasting blood sugar is less than 100mg/dL, between 100-125mg/dL is impaired fasting sugar and more than/ equal to 126mg/dL fasting blood sugar on two occasions is diabetes, Dr. Chatterjee
What are the early signs and symptoms of high blood sugar?
- Increased urination(polyuria)- Your kidneys fail to filter it properly because of which the sugar gets accumulated in the urine when your blood sugar is high. This leads to frequent urination. It can also cause yeast and bacterial infections. Using the bathroom more than normal is an early sign that you might be diabetic.
- Weight loss- Your body will start losing weight unexpectedly when you have a high blood sugar level. This happens because your body is not able to use the glucose effectively to produce and energy and so it starts burning the stored fat in your body which can drop your weight suddenly.
- Weakness/ tiredness- Your body will start losing weight unexpectedly when you have a high blood sugar level. This happens because your body is not able to use the glucose effectively to produce and energy and so it starts burning the stored fat in your body which can drop your weight suddenly.
- Increased thirst(polydipsia)
- The increased appetite (polyphagia)
What resources are available to control Diabetes?
Diet, exercises, an anti-diabetic medication which includes oral tablets and insulin injection, said Dr. Chatterjee.
Can Diabetes cure?
Dr. Chatterjee said, “Depends on the severity of diabetes-unlikely to have a complete cure but can be controlled.”