The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in India has been growing at a rate seen at the early stages in other countries. People have been asked not to leave their homes unless necessary for the next few weeks. Janta Curfew was successfully observed. Travel restrictions were placed relatively early.
But the question is can India with high population and overburdened public health infrastructure tackle this health emergency? Here is how different states are trying to deal with this crisis:
- A Sports stadium in Howrah converted into quarantine centre.
- 100 bed isolation ward has been set up at Govt-run infectious diseases & Beleghata Hosp.
- 50 bed isolation was set up at the RG KAR Medical college.
- One hospital in every district dedicated for coronavirus patients.
- 1700 bed public hospital to be converted into a special Hosp.
- Govt has placed an order for 1000 ventilators for Corona patients.
- Rs 200 Crore fund has been allocated towards immediate expenses to contain virus spread.
- Rs 5000 cr health package to tackle coronavirus outbreak.
- Govt medical college in Ernakulam to become Kerala’s first coronavirus treatment centre.
- Plans to take over empty spaces in Private buildings, private colleges and residential apartments to isolate suspects.
- Bihar is least prepared.
- It is preparing 500-bed isolation ward in Patna’s IGIMS.
- Village guards (Chowkidars) have been asked to identity people with symptoms.
- BMC gets 89 isolation beds at 10 private hospitals in Mumbai.
- Seven more testing labs to open ramping up capacity to 10 labs
- ICMR has approved four private test labs in the state including Thyrocare, Suburban Diagnostics, Metropolis Healthcare.
- Infection control hospitals are being set up at four locations in Ahmedabad, Surat, Rajkot and Vadodara.
- A 1200-bed hospital in Ahmedabad will be exclusively added one more testing lab to its existing two laboratories with a capacity to test 200 samples in a day.
- It has arranged 768 beds in various hospitals for Coronavirus patients.
- 550 isolation beds in Delhi Government hospitals for the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
- Six hospitals are collecting samples for coronavirus tests.
- 1268 isolation beds are available in private and government hospitals across the state.
- 5 laboratories have been set up in in the state with the help of central government for the testing of coronavirus.
- Rs 60 crore has been allocated
- Newly-constructed buildings, unused spaces being turned into isolation wards in Chennai.
- Three major medical college hospitals in Chennai are ramping up isolation wards.
- The state has a total of 2,069 isolation beds.
- Home delivery of rations to most vulnerable across the state 200 isolation beds set up in Ranchi in District hospital& RIMS.
- All district hospital to have special isolation wards
- Over 300 daal bhaat centres operational across all towns to help feed labourers.
The government-run RUHS hospital in Jaipur has been directed to remain prepared to quarantine at least 250 people in view of the coronavirus outbreak.