Health Tips For Winters, Health News, Best Health Tips For Winters: As temperature drops during winter, the risk of certain health issues rises. Cold weather can have unanticipated effects on health, especially on the heart. This can even increase the risk of stroke. According to a report by the World Health Organisation (WHO), stroke is the second leading cause of mortality. It claims about 60 lakh lives every year globally. As per a Lancet Study, nearly seven lakh stroke-related deaths occurred in India in 2019. This accounted for 7.4 per cent of the total deaths in the country that year.
According to Dr Kunal Bahrani – Director, Neurology, Fortis Escorts Hospital Faridabad – a stroke occurs when blood flow to the brain is disrupted either through a blocked whistle in the brain (ischemic stroke) or a burst of the vessel in the brain which is called a (hemorrhagic stroke).
“Once a patient has suffered a stroke, it is also likely that they might have recurrent strokes. Thus, it is important to take necessary precautions to counter stroke incidences,” Dr Bahrani said.
• In order to prevent stroke, it is always advisable to take your prescribed medication regularly. This may include blood pressure medicine, medicines to lower cholesterol called statins which help to lower cholesterol, and medicines that prevent blood clots like aspirin and other blood thinners.
• Medicines that help keep the blood sugar of people as close to normal are also very helpful in the prevention of stroke.
• Lifestyle changes like exercise, smoking cessation, and a diet that is rich in fruits vegetables and low-fat dairy products also go a long way in the prevention of strokes.
• Cutting down your salt intake helps in stroke prevention. This should be done on the recommendation of your doctor to 5g per day or one teaspoon per day.
• Movement or activity even for short durations as short as 5 to 10 minutes after every one hour of inactivity is helpful.
• Weight loss, if you are overweight and limiting the amount of alcohol consumption to safe limits is useful.
• Quitting tobacco in all forms whether oral tobacco, cigarette, or bidi is also useful.