Constipation is Common During Pregnancy. Let’s Learn the Causes
Pregnancy is one of the most important phases of life in every woman’s life. The body goes through several hormonal changes at this point in time and there’s always something happening inside the body of the mother-to-be. A very common health issue that women phase during this phase is constipation. Here in this article, we are going to tell some of the reasons behind this and some health tips on how to get rid of discomfort.
Constipation During Pregnancy – Reasons
Just like other pregnancy symptoms, pregnancy hormones are behind these problems.
Increased progesterone levels in the body result in the relaxation of muscles in your bowels. As a result, the food will hang around for a longer duration. There are both positive and negative things related to it. While this gives more time for nutrients to be absorbed into your bloodstream and read your baby, your uterus will also expand and cramp the space that is usually occupied by your bowel.
Health Tips To Combat Constipation During Pregnancy
- Consume fibre-rich food. One should target at least 25 to 35 grams each day. Instead of focusing on food labels, focus on eating plenty of whole grain cereals and bread, legumes, fresh fruits and veggies. Leafy vegetables can also be a good option.
- Drink water in good quantity. Drinking fluid – water, vegetable or fruit juice – in good amounts will be really helpful in moving solid food through your digestive tract. This will also make your stool soft and easier to pass.
- Try to eat in a small amount. Big meals can lead to things getting backed up. The best way is to eat small meals spread across the day.
- Do some exercise during pregnancy. Even a 10-minute of walk can help in making things move.
- The probiotic acidophilus is good for breaking down food. Yogurts are a good source of probiotic acidophilus. You can also ask your doctor to suggest some probiotic supplements.