Fenugreek is a well-known ingredient spice found in Indian food and has been used extensively as it prevents aging, imparts immunity, improves mental function, labor pain, and adds vitality to the body
Fenugreek seed is an important medicinal plant, and its leaves and seeds have been used in various ailments and also as a health tonic. It provides natural food fibers and other nutrients required in the human body.
It has a valuable influence on digestion and thereby suppressing your appetite and aiding your weight loss goals.
Fenugreek seeds’ health benefits involve curing numerous disorders, from thyroid to diabetes. Fenugreek seeds, leaves, and powder are commonly used as household spices and herbs.
- Lowers blood cholesterol– Fenugreek seeds lower serum triglycerides, total cholesterol, and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol owing to the hypolipidemic effect of fenugreek.
- Control diabetes– Fenugreek slows down the rate of sugar absorption into the blood. Fenugreek seeds are used in functional foods, traditional foods as an antidiabetic agent. Due to its high fiber content, it helps in improving insulin function.
- Aids digestion- Fenugreek effectively cleanses the blood. Fenugreek fiber could be effective for curing constipation and it helps in flushing out harmful toxins from the body. A traditional remedy to cure stomach pain is an herbal tea made with fenugreek, honey, and lemon.
- Helps you lose weight- Fenugreek seeds helps control appetite and reduce food intake to support weight loss by chewing soaked methi seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. Fiber present in fenugreek can swell and fill the stomach thereby aiding your weight loss.
- Breast milk production– As breast milk is the best source of nutrition, fenugreek in the spice helps in increasing milk production in lactating mothers. Including fenugreek (methi) in your diet can supply a good amount of iron.
- Skin problems- Applying a paste of fresh fenugreek leaves for twenty minutes on your face can work wonders for your skin. Fenugreek seeds help prevent blackheads, pimples, wrinkles, etc.
- Hair Problems- Massaging your head everyday with boiled fenugreek seeds brings back the luster and bounce to hair. Bollywood star Bhagyashree too has shared, “I use about a small bowl of soaked methi and one cup of coconut milk, which reduces the hair loss problem as it is also one of the best conditioners.”
On the basis of these health benefits, fenugreek is recommended in our day-to-day diet. It is a storehouse of many minerals and vitamins. It contains vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, vitamin A, C, and minerals as Potassium, calcium, zinc, magnesium, iron, etc.