Information on web about gym supplements travels so fast that we sometimes make mistake of grabbing the wrong one. Millions of people take bodybuilding supplements, hoping for weight gain and muscle building. But do we actually trust this intake of supplements? We talked to Dr. Anuj Choudhary, who is the Director of Indian Body Builders Federation and Director of Anihac Pharma and Animal Booster Nutrition., to know the truth behind bodybuilding supplements.
Dr. Anuj Choudhary said, “I suggest people to take part in regular physical activities. This will help control your weight and strengthen your bones. And gym goers should maintain their daily workout plan and eating habits. Protein should be the key ingredient in our diets that helps building and maintaining all types of body tissues including muscles.”
Dr. Anuj Choudhary, a fitness expert and trainer, who produce health Supplements of his own brand Animal Booster Nutrition & Anihac Pharma, talks about the supplements and related facts and myths about them.
Bodybuilding supplements are dietary supplements which are used by those involved in bodybuilding, weightlifting, and sports for increasing lean body mass. It helps grow muscle, increase body weight, improve athletic performance.
Types of Supplements
- High Protein Drinks
- Beta – Alanine
- Branched- chain amino acids
- Omega 3 fatty acids
Advantages of Supplements
- Food supplements in addition to consuming food enables us derive our daily dose of vitamins and minerals.
- Vitamins and minerals help protect the body from diseases, hence supplements can offer added “insurance” that one is meeting daily recommendations of vitamins and minerals needed by the body, especially in those who do not eat a healthy, balanced diet.
- Supplements can contribute to improve muscle strength, endurance and overall physical performance, they are therefore commonly taken by athletes to improve their performance.
- Some supplements are used in combination with drugs as a method of complementary or alternative treatment for health conditions.
- Food supplements can also prevent a variety of diseases and health conditions.
Dos And Don’ts
Eat a healthy diet. There’s just no substitute for a balanced, nutritious diet that limits excess calories, saturated fat, trans fat, sodium and dietary cholesterol. This approach has been shown to reduce coronary heart disease risk in healthy people and those with heart disease.
Patients with heart disease should consume about 1 gram of omega-3 fatty acids called EPA + DHA. This should ideally come from fish. This can be hard to get by diet alone, so a supplement could be needed. As always, consult with a physician first.
If you have elevated triglycerides, try to get 2 to 4 grams per day of EPA+DHA.
Don’t take antioxidant vitamin supplements such as A, C and E. Scientific evidence does not suggest these can eliminate the need to reduce blood pressure, lower blood cholesterol or stop smoking.
Do not rely only on supplements. There isn’t sufficient data to suggest that healthy people benefit by taking certain vitamin or mineral supplements in excess of the daily recommended allowance. Some observational studies have suggested that using these can lower rates of cardiovascular disease and/or lower risk factor levels.
Few Gym Exercises to Do
- Bench press
- Overhead press
- Standing calf raise
What is the Best Thing to Eat before Exercising for Energy and Endurance?
- You need quality carbs, lean protein, heart-healthy fats, and fluids.
- Your muscles rely on carbohydrate foods like breads, cereals, pasta, rice, fruits, and vegetables for quick energy.
- You need protein for your muscles and for your blood cells, which bring nutrients and oxygen to your muscles.
- You also need fluids, or your body will have a hard time performing at its best.
Vitamins and mineral supplements can help you endure your body muscle. But, what you should never stop doing is: eating healthy foods. Diet supplements are just supplements, not replacements. Only use supplements if your healthcare professional has recommended them.