Delhi: 16-Year-Old Gets Second Life, Post Being Electrocuted

The boy was admitted at Indraprastha Apollo with no heartbeat and an absent pulse rate posing a threat to his life: Regained consciousness after 36 Hours

A 16-year-old boy who suffered from a severe electric shock was brought back to life after coming in contact with a high voltage live wire that had fallen on an iron railing, at his shop. The incident occurred in Old Delhi when the boy was inspecting the damage caused to his shop due to heavy rains that lashed out the city.

The boy was found in a lifeless condition by people from nearby in a state of shock, stuck motionless to the railing while current still running through his body. He could only be rescued after 10 minutes when people got the electricity supply cut from the powerhouse of that area.

He was rushed to Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals and was admitted to the Emergency. On admission, the patient had no heartbeat, an absent pulse rate and progressively falling blood pressure owing to the damage caused by the continuous flow of electricity to his body. With exceptionally low chances of survival, Dr Priyadarshini Pal, Emergency Head, Emergency & Critical Care, Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals and her team quickly responded to his critical condition, and with timely treatment, the patient regained his consciousness after 36 hours and was discharged after five days of his treatment.

YOU MAY LIKE TO READ: 87-Year-Old Male Gets A Second Life After Being Successfully Treated For COVID 19 At Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals

Dr Priyadarshini Pal, said, “The boy was brought into the Emergency in an unconscious and unresponsive state and did have a heartbeat. Upon evaluation, it was discovered that due to the severe and prolonged electric shock, he had suffered a cardiac arrest, and his pulse could not be felt. We immediately gave him a CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation) to try and revive the patient. The process was extremely critical because any delay in CPR after a cardiac arrest could have led to possible irreversible brain damage, but we were able to revive the patient after CPR that lasted for an unusual time of almost 45 mins. “

“Fortunately his other organs had not suffered any damage, hence after 36 hours, the patient regained full consciousness. His progress was closely monitored for five days and the patient was discharged in a healthy state after that”, she further added.

Expressing his gratitude to the Apollo team, the patient’s brother said, “We had lost hope when initially the doctors informed us that chances of my brother’s survival are low, but Dr Pal and her team put in all their efforts and helped us bring him back to life”.

Facebook Comments