Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal on Monday announced a six-day lockdown in the Capital, saying harsh measures will have to be taken to prevent a collapse of the city’s health system.
Delhi is facing the fourth wave of the Covid19 pandemic, said Kejriwal and pointed out that around 25000 Coronavirus cases have been reported in a single day.
He said, the lockdown will come into effect at 10 PM on Monday, and be in force till 5 AM next Monday.
“Delhi’s health system has reached its limits. I don’t say that the system has collapsed but it has reached its limits,” Kejriwal said in a press briefing. The chief minister reiterated that Delhi was facing the fourth wave of the pandemic, remarking that the city’s health system has reached its limits. “I won’t say that the health system has collapsed but it has reached its limits,” he said.
Kejriwal said, in the week-long lockdown, essential services, food services and medical services will continue. Weddings can be held with a gathering of only 50 people and passes will be issued separately for the same. A detailed order will be issued shortly. He also asked citizens of Delhi to stay in Delhi and not try to travel out of the city to dodge the lockdown.
Along with that all other private offices establishments, shops, shopping centers, malls, weekly markets, manufacturing units, educational and coaching institutes, cinema and theatres, restaurant and bars, auditoriums and assembly halls, entertainment/amusement/water parks, public parks and gardens, sports complexes, gyms, spas, barber shops, saloons, beauty parlors, swimming pools (except being used for training of sports persons for participation in national and international events), construction activities (except where labourer are residing onsite) etc. shall remain closed during curfew.
All social political/sports/entertainment/academic/cultural/religious/festival related and other gathering and congregations shall be prohibited. Religious places shall be permitted to open, but no visitors shall be allowed.
“In last three to four days, around 25,000 cases have been reported. Positivity rate as well as the infection have also increased. If 25,000 patients come every day, then system will crumble. There’s a shortage of beds as well ICU beds are nearly over. There are less than 100 beds available. There is a shortage of oxygen as well,” Kejriwal said.
The government has said that the movement of essential goods and those employed in essential services will be allowed, the order on lockdown noted.
Government officials said, the judicial officers, police, and medical personnel will be allowed to move around but will have to show their ID cards for the same.
दिल्ली में तेज़ी से बढ़ते कोरोना मामलों के मद्देनज़र एक महत्वपूर्ण घोषणा | Press Conference | LIVE https://t.co/zAECIEcZ53
— Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) April 19, 2021
The following are exempted from the lockdown but all have to show valid ID cards to move around during the lockdown timings.
– Pregnant women and patients for getting medical or health services along with attendant, they need to produce a valid ID card or doctor’s prescription or medical papers.
– Persons who are going for COVID-19 testing or vaccination
– Persons coming from/going to Airports/Railway stations/ISBTs will be allowed to travel on production of valid ticket.
– Officers/officials functioning in the offices of Diplomats of various countries as well as persons holding any constitutional post on production of valid I card.
– Those employed in electronic and print media on production of valid ID card.
– Persons/ students shall be allowed to appear in examination on production of valid Admit card. The examination staff deployed for exam duties shall be allowed to travel on production of valid ID card.
– There shall be no restriction on inter-state and intra-state movement transportation of essential goods. No separate permission / e-pass will be required for such movements, Movement of persons related to commercial and private establishments / offices providing following services/commodities shall only be allowed.
– Shops dealing with food, groceries, fruits & vegetables, dairy & milk booths, meat & fish, animal fodder, pharmaceuticals, opticians, medicines and medical equipment’s, newspapers distribution can remain open
– Banks, Insurance offices and ATMs, SEBI/ Stock related offices. HI. Telecommunications, Internet services, Broadcasting and Cable services, IT and IT enabled services is allowed.
– Delivery of all essential goods including food, pharmaceuticals, medical equipment’s through e-commerce will be allowed petroleum and gas retail and storage outlets. vi. Water supply, Power generation, transmission and distribution units and services. vil. Cold storage and warehousing services.
– Petrol pumps, LPG, CNG will be open
– Private security services will function
– Manufacturing units of essential commodities.
– Manufacturing units of non-essential commodities having onsite workers. Production units or services, which require continuous process
– Delivery of food by way of home delivery/take away by restaurants/eateries.