Cricket South Africa is not overtly worried about their players travelling to India for the upcoming ODI series amidst coronavirus fears, saying the risk factor is “low” in Delhi, the first destination for the team. The Proteas will reach India via Dubai. They will land in New Delhi on Monday and spend a day there before proceeding to compete in Dharamsala (March 12), Lucknow (March 15) and Kolkata (March 18). “None of the playing venues have recorded positive cases and travel between these cities will be via chartered flights reducing the risk even further. The risks in Dubai and Delhi are considered low,” the CSA said in a statement.
“While the risk remains low, precautionary measures are necessary because of the highly infectious nature of the disease. The team has been appraised of hygiene precautions, avoidance measures, and symptom recognition in addition to being provided with travel kits,” it added.
The CSA said it has been liaising with the BCCI, the South African embassy in New Delhi, Indian security and risk experts.
This risk assessment is informed by information provided by international experts, the US Centre for Disease Control, the World Health Organisation, the South African Department of Health and the National Institute for Communicable Diseases,” the CSA said.
Combined Shooting World Cup in the National Capital Postponed
The upcoming combined shooting World Cup in the national capital was on Friday postponed to May, while an Olympic test event in Tokyo stood cancelled due to the global novel Coronavirus outbreak. The tournament, sanctioned by the International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF), was to be held from March 15 to 25 in the capital’s Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range. The Olympic Test event was scheduled to be held from April 16. The World Cup will now be held in two parts before the Olympic Games.
Government’s List of Guidelines
The Indian government’s list of guidelines states that the visa of all foreign nationals, who have visited the affected countries in the year 2020 and have not yet landed in India, will be cancelled. The Delhi event was to be a combined World Cup for rifle/pistol and shotgun shooters. In the wake of the Coronavirus, which originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December last year, many sporting events across the world have been either cancelled or postponed in recent weeks.
Last week, India pulled out of the ISSF World Cup in Cyprus, citing the coronavirus threat. The outbreak has so far claimed more than 3000 lives and infected close to 100,000 people across the world. The ISSF had on Wednesday announced that the World Cup in Delhi won’t carry ranking points because athletes from all countries cannot participate following the health advisory issued by the Indian government.