By Dr Kaushal Yadav, Sr. Consultant & HOD, Surgical Oncology, Paras Hospital, Gurgaon
Number of new cases of cancer are reported more in Indian women compared to Indian men (587 249 versus 570 045). Breast cancer is not only most common women cancer, but also accounts for 14% of new cases of cancer, which is a steep rise. Cervix cancer is second most common cancer and ovarian cancer is third most common cancer among newly diagnosed cancers.
Breast cancer is also responsible for most number of cancer related mortality. There also reports of increasing trends of breast cancer in younger women. Because of screening and hygienic awareness incidence of cervical cancer is decreasing. Following awareness habits will help
- Eat fresh fruits and vegetables
- Regular physical activity
- Proper Hygiene
- Regular Screening
- HPV vaccination for young girls
- Awareness of warning signs like lump, bleeding, abdominal discomfort
- Smoking/ tobacco/ alcohol
- Prolonged use of hormone replacement therapy. Use only in consultation with doctor.
- Unsafe sexual practices
- High fat dairy products