Dr Archana Dhawan Bajaj, Gynaecologist, Obstetrician and IVF Expert, Nurture IVF Centre
Playing holi is inevitable at times and if you are pregnant, you certainly need to be watchful of the colors you play with as some colors can be harmful.
Chemical colors are made of synthetic & industrial dyes. These colors contain crushed glass and also oxidized metals such as copper sulphate & lead oxide. These chemicals can adversely impact the nervous & respiratory systems of the woman and also pose a danger to the fetus. Extreme exposure to such chemicasl can cause preterm birth.
Play holi with natural colors made of vegetable or herbal dyes, which will protect you against any mishap during pregnancy. Cover your mouth and nose with mask to avoid any direct intake of colors.
Few precautions to be taken by the pregnant woman while playing holi:
- Immediately rinse your eyes, mouth and wash the affected areas immediately as it may cause irritation or redness or blur vision
- Do not eat fried snacks / sweets as that could be spiked with bhang / drink anything outside
- If any irritation, dryness, redness or any rash persists, immediately consult your doctor
- Wear a mask – this will avoid any dust / chemical particle to enter the respiratory system
- Chemical colors can be extremely harmful, hence play with only natural colors
- Chemical colours also effect the respiratory system of the pregnant woman triggering asthmatic attack
- Be watchful of playing and avoid slipping