-Dr. Chandril Chugh, Director Dr. Good Deed, Patna
In India, COVID-19 has led to a surge in cases of a potentially fatal fungal infection called mucormycosis, popularly known as “black fungus.” The infection is every bit as dangerous as the media have portrayed it.
Here is all we need to know about Black Fungus
• What causes Black Fungus?
It is a fungus called Mucor. it is blackish in color hence called the black fungus.
• Who all gets infected through it?
Usually, patients with poor immunity and diabetic patients
• What are the early signs of Mucormycosis?
Mucor can affect the sinuses, nasal tract and then spread to the brain. swelling of the affected area, block scabbing in the nose, headaches, redness of eyes with swelling and in later stages it can cause seizures, coma, and even death.
• How is Mucormycosis best diagnosed & when should the patient reach out for medical help?
Clinical signs and symptoms in a patient with low immunity help in diagnosis.
• What specialty of doctor one should visit if he/she is having some symptoms?
Usually, an ENT specialist or a Neurologist is preferred but getting an opinion from a well-qualified doctor is more important than the specialty.
• Can this arise once the patient recovers from COVID 19 infection?
Mucor is related to the use of steroids in COVID patients. So yes, it can occur after covid has been treated with steroids.
• What precautions one should take once he/ she recovers from COVID to avoid this disease?
Judicious use of steroids is the key. Overdose and over-treatment with steroids should be avoided. control of blood sugar is paramount.
What is the treatment process? Antifungal drugs are used to treat this fungus
Role of steroids in the treatment of the disease?
Steroids predispose to this infection and are not used for the treatment of mucor.